Parker’s Ferry was the site of the ambush on the British by General Francis Marion on August 30, 1781. Marion and a force of four hundred Patriots battled five hundred and forty British, Hessians, and Tories at the Battle of Parker’s Ferry, forcing them to withdraw to Charleston.
Isaac Hayne was a planter and patriot from Jacksonborough, South Carolina. Hayne was born in 1745 and died on August 4, 1781 when he was executed by the British in Charleston. He owned plantations in Beaufort and Colleton Counties. Hayne Hall, a rice plantation and his main residence, was located in Jacksonborough. Hayne’s importance to South Carolina history is not just in the fact that he was an important Lowcountry planter nor that he was even a patriot and an officer during the Revolutionary War. A lot of the notability and what makes Hayne a historical figure that cannot ever be forgotten is that he died a proclaimed martyr for liberty1 and provided a turning point on which popular opinion about the Revolution began to change in South Carolina.
In 1780 the British captured Charleston. Among the patriot forces at that time was Isaac Hayne, a captain of the artillery and a state senator. The British offered parole to the patriot soldiers on the condition that they swear allegiance to the British Crown and that they not bear arms against the British. “Brigadier General James Patterson, the first commandant of Charlestown, demanded that Hayne remain in Charlestown or sign an oath of allegiance, Hayne chose the latter.”2 However, Hayne said later that he was specific about only being obligated as long as the British held the area or as long as it was beneficial to him.3
In fact, there would come a time when Hayne would again be faced with a difficult decision. Unfortunately as the British began to lose their foothold in Charleston they called on Hayne to join with the British forces. Hayne considered this to be a breach of the terms that he had agreed to in order to gain parole and did not take up arms against the Americans. In fact he rejoined the Americans and was commissioned as a Colonel.4
In July of 1781 Haynes was captured by the British again and British Commander Francis Rawdon hastily set about finding Hayne guilty of treason in quick hearing in which no testimony by witnesses was allowed. Hayne was sentenced to execution but he protested the hearing as illegal. The Charleston citizens began petitioning for his pardon from execution and were zealous in their attempts to keep him from being executed but it was to no avail.5
During Hayne’s capture and hearing Hayne’s wife passed away. Hayne was allowed a brief respite to say goodbye to his children and set his family affairs in order before he was executed by hanging on August 4, 1781.6 This action along with several other brutal and dishonorable actions of the British army in South Carolina around the same time helped cement the patriotic sentiment of the colony. South Carolina was divided in its allegiance and the Backcountry and the Lowcountry were at odds about fighting for independence from Britain. However, the execution of Isaac Hayne and other events brought them closer to uniting against the British.
Hayne was returned to Jacksonboro and his plantation Hayne Hall for burial. There his grave along with the graves of eleven of his family members still remain along with a memorial.7 When the Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society wanted to create the Old Jacksonborough Historic District they cited Hayne’s importance to South Carolina and Colleton County’s history and his burial site as one of the reasons that Old Jacksonborough should become a protected area.8
Written by: A. Karel Horn
November 18, 2014
1Walter Edgar, The South Carolina Encyclopedia, (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 2006).
2David K. Bowden, The Execution of Isaac Hayne, (Lexington: The Sandlapper Store, Inc., 1977).
4Walter Edgar, The South Carolina Encyclopedia, (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 2006).
5“Isaac Hayne (1745 – 1781) – Find A Grave Memorial,” http://www.findagrave.com, September 1, 2014. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11769
6“Isaac Hayne,” http://www.famousamericans.net, September 30, 2014. http://famousamericans.net/isaachayne/
7“Isaac Hayne (1745 – 1781) – Find A Grave Memorial,” http://www.findagrave.com, September 1, 2014. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=11769
8Laura Lynn Hughes, “The Papers of Laura Lynn Hughes,” Collection of Papers and Documents Pertaining to Colleton County Historical Preservation, Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society, n.d.
George Washington, on his southern tour in May of 1791, was entertained at Duharra Plantation, home of Congressman O’Brien Smith, who served in the General Assembly, the State Senate, and was the second President of the Hibernian Society of Charleston. Mr. Smith is buried in the churchyard of St. Bartholomew’s Parish Church, later known as Pon Pon Chapel.
In 1782, the occupation of Charleston by the British forced the General Assembly to convene in the village of Old Jacksonborough. The House of Representatives meetings were conducted at the Masonic Lodge and the Senate meetings were held at the Tavern of Peter DuBose.
Preservation Awards Nominations will be accepted until March 1 via email at info@cchaps, mail to 205 Church St., Walterboro, SC 29488 or call the office at 843-549-9633. There are several different categories for nominations, a brief description of each is listed below:
The Sir John Colleton Award
Sir John Colleton was one of the eight Lords Proprietors to be given the grant of land called “Carolina”. He was very instrumental in seeing that a colony was established on this enormous stretch of land that extended from latitude 31 degrees to 36 degrees. One of the three original counties was named in his honor, and we have the prestige of carrying on that name today. The Sir John Colleton Awards represents “Architectural Preservation” at its best; that is preserving the visual heritage of a house by making only cosmetic changes.
Walterborough Key Historic Property Award
With the establishment of a pineland village in Hickory Valley, log cabins filled the needs of the early settlers for their escape from the malaria of the Lowcountry. As the years passed, many descendants from these early settlers became permanent residents, and they built sturdy and stately homes and buildings. These places have become the key historic properties for our community and have made it possible for Walterboro to have two historic districts.
The Walterborough Key Historic Property Award represents stewardship; entrusting a wonderful building for each generation to enjoy, but also to bear the burden of maintaining its beauty for the next generation. This in itself can be a hardship, but for those of us who love this community and care for our visual heritage, it is a simple challenge.
William Lowndes Award
During the “Era of Good Feelings”, only one political party seemed to exist; therefore, in preparation for the 1824 Presidential Election, each state legislature nominated a favorite son candidate. The South Carolina Legislature nominated William Lowndes of the Horse Shoe Plantation, Colleton District. As chairman of the U.S. House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee, Congressman Lowndes was able to propose means by which the national debt was extinguished within fourteen years. His untimely death in 1822 caused the state to then give their presidential support to John C. Calhoun who was elected Vice President of the U.S.
Since we have done little to remember this outstanding statesman, it seems appropriate that an award given in his honor should be for those who know how to “correct problems and make things better.” So the William Lowndes Award is given for the rehabilitation of a historic property that seemed destined for destruction.
Paul and Jacob Walter Award
The summer colony of Hickory Valley was established in 1784 by the Paul and Jacob Walter families. Seeking a healthier climate, these two brothers selected the sites where the Bethel Presbyterian Church and the Unger Property are today. Because Hickory Valley proved to be an excellent pineland village, more families came and some stayed year round.
As the village grew, stores opened, mills came, the Little Library was built, and the court house was constructed. Due to the scarcity of buildings and materials, often the structures served several purposes, thus the beginning of adaptive use- just because a building has outlived its first use, doesn’t mean that it has to be destroyed. Thankfully there are people committed to these goals today that don’t destroy our visual heritage, but find new uses for our older buildings; for this commitment the Paul and Jacob Walter Award is given.
Simon Verdier Award
The Simon Verdier award was named to honor a French Huguenot who settled in Colleton County in the early 1800’s. One of his lasting contributions to the area was the beautiful Japonica which be brought to the Lowcountry from his native France. So it is with the restorations of an historic property, a beautiful and lasting gift that each generation will certainly treasure.
Landgrave Edmund Bellinger Award
There were two titles of nobility outlined in the plan of government for Colonial Carolina- “Landgrave” and “Cassigue”. A landgrave would have owned 48,000 acres of land, so the Landgrave Edmund Bellinger Award is named for Landgrave Edmund Bellinger who owned most of the property between the Ashepoo and Combahee Rivers. Some of his descendants are still living in our county. This award exemplifies “plantation preservation” at its best.
St. Bartholomew Award
In 1706 the colony of Carolina was divided into ten parishes to ensure that the Church of England, which was the established church, could function properly. Some of the early parishes of Colleton County were: St. Bartholomew’s, St. George’s, and St. Paul’s. As other counties were formed, this county became smaller, so today Colleton County has only one parish and that is St. Bartholomew’s. This county has many historic sites that need to be protected and preserved, so it seems fitting that the award for preservation of historic side should be called the St. Bartholomew’s Award.
William Edward Fripp Award
When members of the Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society were selecting a way to pay tribute to the founder of the historical society, the idea of naming an award to honor William Edward Fripp seemed most fitting. Mr. Fripp spent his lifetime saving the history of this community! He certainly wanted it to grow and prosper, but he would have wanted this growth to reflect, enhance, and complement the historic ambiance of Walterboro.
In 2015, the Committee, with Board approval, added the following two Award Categories:
“COLLETON COMMUNITY AWARD”
Description: A structure or site of historical interest being maintained and preserved by a Colleton County community
(Examples would be churches, depots, community centers, graveyards, etc. Many of these small communities struggle with maintaining these structures and sites so important to them. It takes their money and time and we feel they should receive recognition for their efforts at preservation. Some of these churches in particular have memberships of 25 or less and they are responsible for everything.)
“COLLETON RURAL PROPERTY AWARD”
Description: A home site or property (including commercial properties) of historical interest with/without structures and having only minor changes
(This award would be to encourage people in the rural areas of our county to maintain these neat, old places and not feel as if they have to own a key historic property to be noted. They matter too. Have you noticed riding the back roads how many of these “old places” are disappearing from our landscape?)