The Colleton Historical Society was organized on January 9, 1958. We endeavor to preserve historical materials, encourage protection of historic buildings, promote an appreciation of Colleton County’s architectural assets, and place historical markers at important sites.
In 1975 Colleton Historical Society received a grant for the complete restoration of the Little Library, originally constructed about 1820.
In 1977 a separate organization The Walterboro Preservation Society was established to promote the protection of historic buildings and houses. This organization established two historic districts which in 1980 were placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Shortly after this, these two organizations merged to become The Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society.
In 1984 The Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society was instrumental in placing the sundial and planter on the grounds of the Little Library to commemorate Walterboro’s Bicentennial.
In 1988 The Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society opened the Colleton Museum, and restored the Old Jail for this project.
In 2015 The Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society made great strides in the restoration of The Bedon-Lucas House by bring life back to the exterior of the home.
In 2018 a big effort was made to push the preservation of Pon Pon Chapel of Ease to strengthen and maintain the structure that stands today.
For more information about us, please contact our office at 843-549-9633 or email us at email@example.com. Our office is located at 205 Church St, Walterboro, SC 29488.