Author: Administrator

The Nullification House

Written By:  A. Karel Horn November 17, 2014 On Jeffries Boulevard in Walterboro, South Carolina there used to stand a house that was once owned by Robert Barnwell Rhett.  It’s unfortunate that despite efforts to acquire the property by the Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society this house was ultimately torn down.  All that is left now is the memory,…

Preservation Award Information

Preservation Awards Nominations will be accepted until March 1 via email at info@cchaps, mail to 205 Church St., Walterboro, SC 29488 or call the office at 843-549-9633. There are several different categories for nominations, a brief description of each is listed below: The Sir John Colleton Award Sir John Colleton was one of the eight Lords Proprietors to be given…

George Washington Visits in May of 1791

George Washington, on his southern tour in May of 1791, was entertained at Duharra Plantation, home of Congressman O’Brien Smith, who served in the General Assembly, the State Senate, and was the second President of the Hibernian Society of Charleston. Mr. Smith is buried in the churchyard of St. Bartholomew’s Parish Church, later known as Pon Pon Chapel.

The Burial Site of Colonel Isaac Hayne

Written by:  A. Karel Horn November 18, 2014   Isaac Hayne was a planter and patriot from Jacksonborough, South Carolina.  Hayne was born in 1745 and died on August 4, 1781 when he was executed by the British in Charleston.  He owned plantations in Beaufort and Colleton Counties.  Hayne Hall, a rice plantation and his main residence, was located in…

Parker’s Ferry Battlefield

Parker’s Ferry was the site of the ambush of the British by General Francis Marion on August 30, 1781. He and a force of four hundred Patriots battled five hundred and forty British at the Battle of Parker’s Ferry, forcing them to withdraw to Charleston.

Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery

Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery remains today the site of the church organized 1728 by Rev. Archibald Stobo, the father of the Presbyterian Church in South Carolina. Until the Revolution, all ministers of Bethel came from Scotland. The first building was called the “Meeting House” and lasted until 1746 when a handsome church was erected. Eleven thousand handmade bricks made up the…

Pon Pon Chapel of Ease

Written by:  A. Karel Horn November 18, 2014 Pon Pon Chapel of Ease is located on Parker's Ferry Road near Jacksonboro, South Carolina.  The remains of this important structure are owned and maintained by the Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society.  Pon Pon is located in the area that was known as St. Bartholomew’s Parish during the Colonial period.  There…