Preservation Award Information

Preservation Awards Nominations will be accepted until March 1 via email at info@cchaps, mail to 205 Church St., Walterboro, SC 29488 or call the office at 843-549-9633. There are several different categories for nominations, a brief description of each is listed below:

The Sir John Colleton Award
Sir John Colleton was one of the eight Lords Proprietors to be given the grant of land called “Carolina”. He was very instrumental in seeing that a colony was established on this enormous stretch of land that extended from latitude 31 degrees to 36 degrees. One of the three original counties was named in his honor, and we have the prestige of carrying on that name today. The Sir John Colleton Awards represents “Architectural Preservation” at its best; that is preserving the visual heritage of a house by making only cosmetic changes.

Walterborough Key Historic Property Award
With the establishment of a pineland village in Hickory Valley, log cabins filled the needs of the early settlers for their escape from the malaria of the Lowcountry. As the years passed, many descendants from these early settlers became permanent residents, and they built sturdy and stately homes and buildings. These places have become the key historic properties for our community and have made it possible for Walterboro to have two historic districts.
The Walterborough Key Historic Property Award represents stewardship; entrusting a wonderful building for each generation to enjoy, but also to bear the burden of maintaining its beauty for the next generation. This in itself can be a hardship, but for those of us who love this community and care for our visual heritage, it is a simple challenge.

William Lowndes Award
During the “Era of Good Feelings”, only one political party seemed to exist; therefore, in preparation for the 1824 Presidential Election, each state legislature nominated a favorite son candidate. The South Carolina Legislature nominated William Lowndes of the Horse Shoe Plantation, Colleton District. As chairman of the U.S. House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee, Congressman Lowndes was able to propose means by which the national debt was extinguished within fourteen years. His untimely death in 1822 caused the state to then give their presidential support to John C. Calhoun who was elected Vice President of the U.S.
Since we have done little to remember this outstanding statesman, it seems appropriate that an award given in his honor should be for those who know how to “correct problems and make things better.” So the William Lowndes Award is given for the rehabilitation of a historic property that seemed destined for destruction.

Paul and Jacob Walter Award
The summer colony of Hickory Valley was established in 1784 by the Paul and Jacob Walter families. Seeking a healthier climate, these two brothers selected the sites where the Bethel Presbyterian Church and the Unger Property are today. Because Hickory Valley proved to be an excellent pineland village, more families came and some stayed year round.
As the village grew, stores opened, mills came, the Little Library was built, and the court house was constructed. Due to the scarcity of buildings and materials, often the structures served several purposes, thus the beginning of adaptive use- just because a building has outlived its first use, doesn’t mean that it has to be destroyed. Thankfully there are people committed to these goals today that don’t destroy our visual heritage, but find new uses for our older buildings; for this committment the Paul and Jacob Walter Award is given.

Simon Verdier Award
The Simon Verdier award was named to honor a French Huguenot who settled in Colleton County in the early 1800’s. One of his lasting contributions to the area was the beautiful japonica which be brought to the Lowcountry from his native France. So it is with the restorations of an historic property, a beautiful and lasting gift that each generation will certainly treasure.

Landgrave Edmund Bellinger Award
There were two titles of nobility outlined in the plan of government for Colonial Carolina- “Landgrave” and “Cassigue”. A landgrave would have owned 48,000 acres of land, so the Landgrave Edmund Bellinger Award is named for Landgrave Edmund Bellinger who owned most of the property between the Ashepoo and Combahee Rivers. Some of his descendants are still living in our county. This award exemplifies “plantation preservation” at its best.

St. Bartholomew Award
In 1706 the colony of Carolina was divided into ten parishes to ensure that the Church of England, which was the established church, could function properly. Some of the early parishes of Colleton County were: St. Bartholomew’s, St. George’s, and St. Paul’s. As other counties were formed, this county became smaller, so today Colleton County has only one parish and that is St. Bartholomew’s. This county has many historic sites that need to be protected and preserved, so it seems fitting that the award for preservation of historic side should be called the St. Bartholomew’s Award.

William Edward Fripp Award
When members of the Colleton County Historical and Preservation Society were selecting a way to pay tribute to the founder of the historical society, the idea of naming an award to honor William Edward Fripp seemed most fitting. Mr. Fripp spent his lifetime saving the history of this community! He certainly wanted it to grow and prosper, but he would have wanted this growth to reflect, enhance, and complement the historic ambience of Walterboro.

In 2015, the Committee, with Board approval, added the following two Award Categories:

COLLETON COMMUNITY AWARD”

Description: A structure or site of historical interest being maintained and preserved by a Colleton County community

(Examples would be churches, depots, community centers, graveyards, etc. Many of these small communities struggle with maintaining these structures and sites so important to them. It takes their money and time and we feel they should receive recognition for their efforts at preservation. Some of these churches in particular have memberships of 25 or less and they are responsible for everything.)

 

COLLETON RURAL PROPERTY AWARD”

Description: A home site or property (including commercial properties) of historical interest with/without structures and having only minor changes

(This award would be to encourage people in the rural areas of our county to maintain these neat, old places and not feel as if they have to own a key historic property to be noted. They matter too.  Have you noticed riding the back roads how many of these “old places” are disappearing from our landscape?)

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>