Historical Sites

The Bedon-Lucas House

Posted ago by Administrator

Written by:  A. Karel Horn November 20, 2014 The Bedon-Lucas house is one of the few remaining high-houses in Colleton County.  Located in the heart of Walterboro, South Carolina’s Historic District this beautiful house reminds visitors and locals alike the …

The Little Library

Posted ago by Administrator

Written by A. Karel Horn November 20, 2014 The Walterborough Library Society Building is the oldest public building in Walterboro.  This little building holds a strong legacy and is definitely worth getting a closer look.  This small building is known …

Catholic Hill

Posted ago by Administrator

Written by:  A. Karel Horn November 18, 2014 If you’re driving down Hendersonville highway to or from Yemassee you might notice a small green sign proclaiming “Catholic Hill.”   St. James the Greater Church was originally built in the area known …

The Walterboro Army Airfield and The Tuskegee Airmen

Posted ago by Administrator

Written by:  A. Karel Horn November 18, 2014 Anderson Airfield is a rural airfield now, but once it was an important Army Airfield during WWII.  When it was first built there were three unpaved landing strips and a mere 60 …

The Colleton County Courthouse

Posted ago by Administrator

Written by:  A. Karel Horn November 17, 2014 Prominently at the corner of Hampton Street and Jeffries Boulevard stands an impressive white building.  The eye-catching statue and soaring columns give it an air of splendor and majesty.  This is the …

The Nullification House

Posted ago by Administrator

Written By:  A. Karel Horn November 17, 2014 On Jeffries Boulevard in Walterboro, South Carolina there used to stand a house that was once owned by Robert Barnwell Rhett.  It’s unfortunate that despite efforts to acquire the property by the …

The Burial Site of Colonel Isaac Hayne

Posted ago by Administrator

Written by:  A. Karel Horn November 18, 2014   Isaac Hayne was a planter and patriot from Jacksonborough, South Carolina.  Hayne was born in 1745 and died on August 4, 1781 when he was executed by the British in Charleston. …

Parker’s Ferry Battlefield

Posted ago by Administrator

Parker’s Ferry was the site of the ambush of the British by General Francis Marion on August 30, 1781. He and a force of four hundred Patriots battled five hundred and forty British at the Battle of Parker’s Ferry, forcing them …

Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery

Posted ago by Administrator

Bethel Presbyterian Church Cemetery remains today the site of the church organized 1728 by Rev. Archibald Stobo, the father of the Presbyterian Church in South Carolina. Until the Revolution, all ministers of Bethel came from Scotland. The first building was called …

Pon Pon Chapel of Ease

Posted ago by Administrator

Written by:  A. Karel Horn November 18, 2014 Pon Pon Chapel of Ease is located on Parker’s Ferry Road near Jacksonboro, South Carolina.  The remains of this important structure are owned and maintained by the Colleton County Historical and Preservation …